top of page

A Lot Of Solar Flares


By the time you finish reading this, there will probably be another solar flare. Sunspot AR3663 is crackling with them, including multiple X and near-X flares in the past 48 hours:



Each of these flares has created a brief but deep radio blackout on Earth, causing loss of signals below 30 MHz. These are events easily noticed by ham radio operators, aviators and mariners using shortwave to communicate.


The flares are expected to continue. AR3663 has a 'beta-gamma-delta' magnetic field where mixed polarities are bumping together in explosive proximity. NOAA forecasters estimate a 75% chance of M-class flares and a 25% chance of X-flares on May 5th.


90 views

Recent Posts

See All

コメント


bottom of page